Zuppa ToscanaJump to Recipe
I have to say that this crockpot Zuppa Toscana soup is probably one of my favorite soups ever! It’s hearty, savory and such a great comfort food but packed with vitamins at the same time!
I was introduced to this type of soup years and years ago … I was speechless when I had it for the first time and wanted more the second I finished my bowl! It was missing a few things, I wanted it to be more hearty so I got to work in the kitchen and now this is a staple in my house!
This soup is SO easy to make!
If you cannot find ground Italian sausage, it is perfectly fine to use sausage in casings! Just remove the sausage from the inside. You can also use Italian patties!
Make sure to chop up the meat into decent bite size pieces, you don’t want them to big or too small.
When chopping the onion, the best cut of onion is into slices. Cut onion into rings and then cut into 4 equal pieces.
There is no need to peel the potatoes if you have properly washed them and the soup is cooked to the proper temperature, unless you have a preference to take the skin off!
The size of the potatoes matter in this soup as well. The way I find that works the best is to cut the potato in half, then with one of the halves I cut into 4 equal pieces and then cut along the length of the potato to get the half cut, bite sizes.
Shoot for the kale to be 3 inches ish around. If any smaller it will wilt and become mush and any larger you will feel like you are eating salad hahah.
If you are not using low sodium broth, make sure to reduce or omit the amount of salt.
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage mild or hot
- 5-6 Medium sized potatoes
- 8 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 5-7 cups Chopped Kale cups are based on preference of more or less wanted
- 1 Large white onion sliced
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 4 tsp Minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp salt omit or reduce if not using reduced sodium
- Grated parmesean cheese to garnish on top
- Cook Sausage over medium/high heat until cooked through – about 10 minutes. (Make sure to break up pieces of meat) Drain meat once done.
- While sausage is cooking start cutting potatoes into quarter pieces that are about an inch thick. Cut Onion into half slivers.
- Add the potatoes, onion, sausage, chicken broth, garlic and salt and pepper into crock pot.
- Cook on high heat for 3 and a half hours.
- Add cut Kale & Heavy Cream into crock pot and combine.
- Cook for 30 more minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and add salt and pepper as wanted!
- Add salt & pepper to taste!